Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I have Alzheimer’s and I refuse to stop laughing!

I have Alzheimer’s and I refuse to stop laughing!

I wrote the above caption with all respect and love to anyone whose life has been impacted in any form, by Alzheimer’s. The caption is because I see humor in everything, even in the bad stuff, and praise God I just can’t stop it!! Humor is my nuclear secret weapon against the blues! But my intent today is to focus on you. Just perhaps to put a smile on your face at the very least. So everyone lets remember to breathe deeply today and laugh loudly at every opportunity! The following true short story happened almost a year ago.

9/17/08 - Just Another "Cognitive Hiccup Kind of Day" :

Today I decided to walk my dog Molly to get the mail as well as; get a walk at the time we usually do, in our usual manner. So, I took all the usual items mentally checking them off one by one: house keys-check, dog leash-check, the plastic bag for potty-check, and the mailbox key as one would expect- double check.

While gathering all the items, Molly was jumping all over the couch doing that doggie "I'm so happy to go out" dance. I thought to myself why can’t we learn more from doggies; when Molly interrupted my thoughts with a large poke in my leg.

So off we went and as we set out, I commented to Molly that the sun seemed extremely hot for the time of day and I regretted not wearing my huge "old lady" straw hat. But I wasn't going to worry today about a few more liver spots or let a forgotten hat ruin our walk.

So as I looked up happily at the pretty big fluffy clouds; and the warm beautiful blue sky - - - even if today's Mesa Arizona sky was an: ozone-thinning; hot & dry-as-an-oven; lifeless; skin-aging; melanoma-threatening; leaving-huge-lines-on-your-cheeks, kind of day! - - - I decided to ignore the negative, trod on, and enjoy our walk the same! And then, in a blink we quickly arrived at the community mailbox!

Happily there, we struggled only for a shorter time today to open the box (lately the lock has been trouble) and no bills were inside!!! And I made sure to comment on this also to Molly as her paws don’t appreciate standing at the box longer than necessary.

But then, as I looked down I did a double take; noticing there was the usual leash loop sensibly tightly secured in the usual place on my left wrist. But to my horror the remainder length of the leash was dangling SOLO in the breeze. And no animal attached!! Fearing the worst, I did a quick eyeball once-over on the block. My heart raced and I feared the worst like any parent would do.

But then quickly I “put 2 and 2 together” as I realized I had just paraded down the entire street road with an unoccupied five-foot-long leash dragging behind me. All fluttering down the road's ground air behind me!! And no Molly the dog was in sight! (This is because she was left back at home; crying behind the locked front door!). As I stood at the mailbox taking all this in and wiping my laughing tears (a gift from Jesus that wouldn't stop & sent in perfect timing) my belly shook harder than Santa, as I thought about this ridiculous scene and the embarrassment of it all!

All along the walk home, I couldn't stop laughing even more, as I watched my imagination's hallucination of all the "window fingers" along the Des Moines Street road, surely parting their curtains aside for all of their strained eyes as I passed by again! What a wonderful gift from God is this funny sitcom journey we call life. Thank the Lord I didn't wear my huge "old lady" straw hat, because it surely would have exasperated this "Mad Woman of Des Moines Street" look of mine contrasting to our block's normal neighborly setting.

But the best part of all - - - - When I got back home, Molly gave me this huge "you're really scaring me, Mom!!" look and of course more laughter for me; and apology hugs for Molly! Hope this true dog-less dog walk story brought a smile to your day as it did mine!!

Note to readers:

I wrote this short true story, which was one of my many Alzheimer’s “the elephant is standing in the room” moments in the past few years. Before hindsight, I never even considered Alzheimer’s a possibility because I incorrectly thought I was too “young” age (56) and that I was being told it was something else health related by health professionals.

If you or someone you love is having cognitive events more than just a “senior moment” or brain fart, please go get a check up.

God bless!

Patrice

1 comment:

  1. Patrice,
    I loved your story! Your writing is wonderful, creative, and funny! I am the caregiver for my mother Lily who has stage 6 Alzheimers and who also is really funny. Of course it is all not fun and games but we (our family) choose to focus on the lighter side of things to help us get through the days. Please visit if you are so inclined. I look forward to following your blog. God Bless Kerry Runyeon
    livinginthemomentwithlilybird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete