Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Support Group

I may presently have early onset Alzheimer’s; but I’m still a Christian who knows miracles still happen

I went to my first Alzheimer’s Association support group last Thursday 8/20/09 with my husband (who is wonderful, by the way). I was the only non-caretaker in the group because my PET scan says I presently am a patient and have early onset Alzheimer’s disease.

At this support group there were some very fine, wonderful good people. Three shared how they were very evidently overwhelmed by the burden of caretaker for a loved one in much latter stages of AD than I am diagnosed presently in.

There was an open forum in this group where people talked at will, or vented at random, or when the facilitator asked them a question directly. I had so many questions in my head to ask that I’d not written down and was concerned I would forget them cause short term memory has not been my forte lately. One of my questions (“what amount of expenses will accrue when later stages of Alzheimer’s disease requires nursing home or hospice care?”) was answered without my asking with a staggering reply of “an estimated ~ $6,000 a month.”

My raised hand never was picked to speak, because I was trying to politely squeeze in between the talkative others, when finally something unexpected happened. One of the most talkative caretakers jumped over my shyly raised forearm and limply bent pointer finger and stared straight into my eyes asking “And how are you handing all of this?” (This person was referencing my recent diagnosis of early onset (age 56) Alzheimer’s on 6/10/2009). For a few seconds I hesitated because I wasn’t sure it would be “allowed” for me to speak my mind freely. I felt this way due to all the unofficial politically correct indoctrination our culture has imbedded into itself that seems to send this coded message out that one can reference other faiths except the Christian faith.

Well, my short-term brain went blank at this point, so I disregarded what were the right words to say; and I just decided to answer what my heart knew was true. And the truth was my own life’s experiences of seeing firsthand, God’s miraculous intervention time and time again in my life.

So I just plainly answered the question to the group saying: Well, you have to understand, I have been a Christian for 35 years. And although I have gone thru so many hard times like everyone does over the years; I personally have seen miracle after miracle where God has brought me through each hardship unscathed. And my seeing God answer my prayers over and over again throughout all these years with bona fide miracles to boot; has filled my heart with so much faith, hope for the future, peace and even a joy in the midst of facing really hard times - - - that today I am not afraid of my future!! I can face tomorrow with so much optimism and hope because I know God hold’s that future in His safe hands and He will take care of me one day at a time, just like He always does

Thank you dear readers and friends for all your prayers for me, I can really feel them.

And don’t forget, breathe deeply, laugh loudly, and trust God with your whole heart!

Hugs, Patrice

No comments:

Post a Comment